Ciències Socials

World- sociology, per Peter Wagner

En el marc del Seminari internacional Perspectives globals en les Humanitats i les Ciències Socials, us convidem a la conferència World- sociology, a càrrec de Peter Wagner, Investigador ICREA- Research Council Advanced Grant project, Universitat de Barcelona.

La conferència tindrà lloc el dijous 18 de maig de les 14:30 hores a la seu central de la UOC (Avinguda Tibidabo, 39-43 08035 Barcelona).

Inscripcions: l’entrada és lliure, però cal inscriure’s aquí.

Resum de la conferència

The objective of a world-sociology is to elaborate an understanding of the present sociopolitical constellation that is global in its outlook but sensitive to differences in specific spatiotemporal circumstances and that is based on insights into how this present constellation has been brought about through transformations of preceding socio-political constellations. This is a time honoured task addressed in ‘classical’ historical sociology, but largely abandoned today because of theoretical and methodological criticism of earlier attempts. This seminar tries to show how a new approach to this task can be developed: by identifying the elements for such work in recent debates; by outlining the conceptual steps necessary for reconstruction; and finally by sketching the contours of such a new world-sociology in some substance.

Nota biogràfica

peter-wagnerPeter Wagner is ICREA Research Professor at the University of Barcelona. He has been Principal Investigator of the European Research Council Advanced Grant project Trajectories of Modernity (2010-2015) and is currently Principal Investigator in the project The debt: historicizing Europe’s relations with the ‘South’, funded by the consortium Humanities in the European Research Area (HERA) within the framework of the joint research programme Uses of the past (2016-2019). His recent publications include Progress: A Reconstruction (2016; French and German editions forthcoming) and Modernity: Understanding the Present (2012) as well as the (co-)edited volumes The Trouble with Democracy (2016, with Gerard Rosich), African, American and European Trajectories of Modernity (2015); and The Greek polis and Democracy: A Politico-cultural Transformation and its Interpretations (with Johann Arnason and Kurt Raaflaub, 2013).

Selecció d’articles

Wagner, Peter. 2015. Progress: A Reconstruction. Cambridge: Polity Press (2016; French and German editions forthcoming).

Wagner, Peter. 2012. Modernity: Understanding the Present. Cambridge: Polity Press.

Wagner, Peter. 2011. “Violence and justice in global modernity: reflection on South Africa with world-sociological intent”. Social Science Information/Information sur les sciences sociales. V. 50 3-4 . 483–504.

Wagner, Peter & Nathalie Karagiannis. 2007. Varieties of World-Making: Beyond Globalization. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press.

13 comments

1. Hi there, I discovered your blog by the use of Google while looking for a related matter, your website came up, it looks good.

I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, simply was alert to your blog via Google,
    and found that it is truly informative. I’m gonna be careful for brussels.
    I’ll be grateful in the event you proceed this in future.
    Numerous people can be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

2. Your Blog is really awesome. I can pass International certification on behalf of you. I am certified Google Adwords Professional. You can donate me whatever you want.I want to earn some part time income Email me for details quyass_pak@hotmail.com

3. Sick and tired of being bored? There’s nothing at all good to watch on TV these days. How many cat videos can you watch at YouTube? What you really want is some live adult entertainment. That’s what http://www.camgirl.pw is all about. It’s 24/7 excitement like you’ve never seen before. Check it out and tell a friend. Something this good needs to be shared.

4. S. On the other hand, any information about the customer that is retained must be done in as secure a way as possible.””Today we had only one objective, to reach an agreement. If you do a little bit of time to a research, you will find the services you need in real time.00If you want to do further inquiry on a specific criminal record, you can delve into the state’s Department of Corrections.
    Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys Free Shipping http://www.wholesalefootballnfljerseysshop.com/

5. I simply want to tell you that I’m beginner to weblog and absolutely loved you’re blog. Probably I’m planning to bookmark your website . You surely come with awesome articles and reviews. Cheers for sharing with us your blog site.

6. I truly wanted to jot down a brief remark to be able to express gratitude to you for all of the splendid items you are posting here. My incredibly long internet investigation has at the end been compensated with reasonable points to exchange with my colleagues. I would tell you that many of us readers actually are undeniably lucky to exist in a remarkable site with many perfect individuals with very helpful tips. I feel really grateful to have used your entire web site and look forward to some more excellent minutes reading here. Thank you again for a lot of things.